Home
 
Mission Statement
 
1078 Officers
 
Council #1078 Events Calendar
 
Council Activities
 
Membership
 
Newsletter
 
Event Flyers
 
Publications
 
4th Degree
Fr. O'Donnell Assembly
 
Pro Life
 
Catholic Links
 
By-Laws
 
Mass State Council
 
Supreme Council
 
St. Augustine Parish
 

 
Council # 1078
2015-2016
Officers

 

                                         
 
Knights of Columbus
Mother of Good Counsel
Andover, MA Council # 1078

   �   10 Brook St.    �    Andover, MA. 01810    �   978 475 2747   �
  �   info@kofc1078.com   �   

 

A History of the Andover Knights of Columbus Council #1078

January 28, 2006 marked a significant date in the history of the Andover Knights of Columbus, Council #1078. It marked the 100th year of the founding of the Council by a group of Andover men inspired by religious and fraternal motives.

The Order of the Knights of Columbus was founded by Father Michael J. McGivney to promote Catholic fraternalism. He also founded one of the most successful American insurance enterprises to protect the members and their widows and orphans. The Order�s principles in 1882 were "Unity" and Charity". The concepts of Fraternity and Patriotism were added later. The Knights of Columbus were bound to the ideals of Christopher Columbus.

Andover was a quiet farming community in 1906 when the Council was formed. The Council was formally instituted on January 28, 1906, in the Sagar Hall of the Odd Fellow building in Lawrence. Members of Lawrence Council 67 conferred the first degree of the order on most of the Andover Charter members. The Second Degree was conferred by Grand Knight William J. Sullivan of the Lowell Council. On February 1, the third degree was exemplified by District Deputy Edward L. Arundel. Andover Postmaster John H. McDonald was the first Grand Knight.

The initial meetings of the new Council were held in several small rooms over Burns� store on Main St. As the Council rapidly expanded, it took over the second floor of the McNally block on Park St. In 1923 a committee was formed to purchase a home that would satisfy their space requirements. The Council then purchased the Swift Residence on Main St. and moved it to Chestnut St. Extensive alterations and improvements were made. It was sold during the depression.

Archbishop Cushing�s efforts for exceptional children, including care those at the Kennedy Memorial Hospital were actively supported by the Andover Knights. We were one of 25-30 Councils that provided a monthly contribution to the Archbishop for that purpose. There are references in our minutes to numerous thank you notes from Archbishop Richard Cushing. We believe the original Cardinal Cushing painting (framed with a signed April 1958 note) was a gift from the Cardinal for the council�s support of his efforts through contribution boxes in the Council hall, dances run with 50% of the proceeds going to the Exceptional Children�s fund, and other Council contributions including $100 ads for the Charity Ball. In October 1958 GK Bill Tammany reported results of Archbishop Cushing�s Appeal for Exceptional Children raised $70,000.

There was great unity of purpose from the mid 1950�s, as the Council supported by our Ladies Auxiliary pursued a dedicated building for the Council.

In Feb. 1962 The Corporate Board was elected with officers President Bob Noonan, VP Bill Tammany, Treasurer Larry Morrisroe, and Secretary Frank Bayliss. Effective 3/16/1962, Andover 1078, Inc was incorporated by those four and Board members Joseph Connor, George C. Durant, Frederick Griffin, Arthur Lavely, George Nangle, Frank Nelligan, Andrew Pendelton Jr., John Polgreen, James F. Sullivan, Joseph C. Sullivan, and Joseph Tassinari. In May and June of that year it was decided to sell shares for our new building fund. A certificate would cost $150 in cash or if paid by month at $13/month, then $156. There are 122 names of Brother Knight shareholders on our 1964 plaque.

In Oct. 1963 Board President Bob Noonan is tasked to obtain a building permit on the Osgood St. Frontage Road property. Board Treasurer and PGK Larry Morrisroe obtained a 15 year mortgage, and remained Treasurer through the entire period of the loan.

In 1963 GK John Lyons asked Father Francis L. Sullivan of St. Roberts to be Chaplain of the Andover Council. The Council has been involved with various Catholic institutions including St. Augustine�s, St. Roberts, Merrimack College and developmentally challenged children.

In Oct. 1964 the new Council home was opened on Osgood Street, and named Briarcliff. Over time the mixed blessing of the proceeds from the Council bar, and the effort of running it, made people rethink the type of building the Council wished to own. After the end of the mortgage in 1979, the Council began looking for other options.

In 1985, the Andover Guild Youth Center building at 10 Brook Street was purchased, and we have occupied it for the last 20 years. The building houses a basketball court, two bowling alleys, a weight room, and meeting rooms. The Osgood Street building has been occupied by the Professional Center for Child Development for almost the same period.

In March 1987 State Treasurer John Oteri presented the Council with the Supreme Diamante Award for membership increase of 583% for the year 1985/1986 with George Nangle as Grand Knight.

The Council has been involved with many social, civic, and charitable causes.

The Council has made significant contributions to the community over the years. A major fundraiser each year is the Tootsie Roll Drive which raises funds to provide handicapped children with needed equipment. Andover #1078 has maintained a proud tradition following in the footsteps of the men who chartered the council 100 years ago. We are a Catholic Family Fraternal Service organization.

Andover Council 1078's First Grand Knight


 

Andover Council # 1078

 

Grand Knights

TERM
GRAND KNIGHT

1906
John H. McDonald

1907-08
Patrick J. Dwane

1909-10
John A. Daly

1911
T.J. Mahoney

1912-13
John H. McDonald

1914
James W. Daly

1915
Michael Crowley

1916-18
Bernard L. McDonald

1918-19
Patrick J. Barrett

1919-25
Frank S. McDonald, DD

1925-26
Jeremiah Daly

1926-27
Augustine P. Sullivan

1927-28
Vincent P. Hickey

1928-30
Michael J. Burke

1930-31
William A. Harnedy, DD

1931-34
William A. Doherty

1934-36
Augustine P. Sullivan

1936-40
William A. Harnedy

1940-51
Edward A. Doyle

1951-52
William L. McDonald, DD

1952-53
Henry Dolan

1953-54
Lawrence Morrisroe

1954-55
Harold Gurry

1955-56
T. John Riley

1956-57
Charles D. Regan

1957-60
William F. Tammany, DD

1960-61
George J. Nangle

1961-62
James F. Sullivan Sr., DD

1962-63
Arthur B. Lavely

1963-64
John J. Lyons

1964-65
Frank Bayliss

1965-67
Raymond Bolduc

1967-68
Michael R. Mulligan

1968-69
James R. Smith, DD

1969-70
Thomas P. Torrisi

 

TERM
GRAND KNIGHT

1970-71
James F. Sullivan Sr., DD

1971-72
Joseph L. Bernard

1972-73
Mathew J. Hall

1973-74
Timothy M. Bryant

1974-75
Christopher J. Goumas

1975-77
Philip J. Gately

1977-78
Francis G. Macklin

1978-79
George J. Nangle

1979-80
William F. Ceuvels

1980-81
John J. Sheehan

1981-82
James F. Sullivan Jr.

1982-84
Douglas Nangle

1984-86
George J. Nangle

1986-88
Richard T. Sayers

1988-90
David L. Doucette

1990-91
Robert Hahesy

1991-92
William Gallant

1992-93
Michael Goumas

1993-94
Michael Schwing

1994-96
Francis McNeice

1996-97
John Muscatel

1997-99
Hugh Brown

1999-00
Dennis T. Regan

2000-02
John P. DeCourcy

2002-03
Stephen Hogarty

2003-04
Charles D. Lane

2004-06
Hugh Brown

2006-07
Michael Schwing

2007-08
John P. DeCourcy, DD

2008-11
Patrick Curley, DD, P.F.N.

2011-13
James Hauer

2013-14

Paul Dollard

2014-15
Dennis Ricketts

2015-16

Jerry Fox

2016 -

Philip D'Agati, PhD



 

District Deputies from Council 1078

 

1923-1926
Frank S. McDonald

1930-1935
William A. Harnedy

1953-1956
William L. McDonald

1957-1960
William A. Doherty

1963-1966
William F. Tammany

1966-1969
James F. Sullivan Sr.

1969-1972
James R. Smith

2009-
John DeCourcy

2011-2014
Patrick Curley

2014 - 
James Hauer

 



 

KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS
ANDOVER COUNCIL 1078
CHARTER MEMBERS
1906

Source: Charter Document for Andover Council 1078, dated January 28, 1906

Barrett, Robert J.

Bonner, James J.

Bogan, Daniel J.

Burns, David S.

Burns, William J.

Carroll, Patrick J.

Clinton, John T.

Comber, Joseph M.

Curran, Joseph F.

Daly, Patrick

Daly, John A.

Doherty, Martin

Doherty, Thomas J.

Doherty, William J.

Driscoll, John F.

Driscoll, John J.

Duggan, James

Duane, Edward D.

Dwane, Patrick J.

Flaherty, Michael J.

Graham, Ralph R.

Green, James H.

Haggerty, James B.

Haggerty, William J.

Hannon, Matthew S.

Higgins, Joseph

Hodnetts, Richard J.

Hurley, John F.

Keane, Mark M.

Kelley, John

Kelley, John J.

Kyle, James E.

Lynch, Joseph P.

Lonergan, Thomas F.

Lorimer, Leonard J.

Lynch, Patrick

Madden, Thomas J.

Madden, Patrick

Maguire, Joseph P.

Mahoney, Timothy J.

Maloney, Thomas E.

McCafferty, James J.

McDonald, Frank S.

McDonald, John H.

McDonald, William L.

McGovern, Patrick

McKeon, William E.

McManus, Frank

Mooney, Frank J.

Nuckley, Thomas F.

O�Donnell, Thomas E.

O�Donnell, David J.

O�Donnell, John A

O�Connor, Thomas F.

Reilly, Bernard E.

Robertson, John S.

Robinson, James A.

Schofield, Harry F.

Schofield, John J.

Scott, James F.

Scott, John W.

Scott, Joseph B.

Stack, John S.

Sullivan, John J.

Sweeney, John

Walsh, George D.

Winters, Michael


 
 

Portrait of Richard Cardinal Cushing.
Pastel, artist unknown.
Believed to have been presented to the Council by His Emminence in the 1950's.


 

"Tempus Fugit...Memento Mori"
 

"Time Flies...Remember Death"


 
   
  
� Copyright 2006 by Patrick T. Curley.
Film � Copyright 2006 by Liz Brown and Council 1078.
History � Copyright 2006 by Council 1078
All Rights Reserved.

Send comments or questions to the web page editor.
.